Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Rooftops of Tehran {Book Club}

Hi all!

Long time, no read!

I took a mini break once summer hit...there is not tired like teacher-tired. I did not forget about you all! :)

Those of you who do not know...I have a book club through Cardigans and Caffeine. You can find it in the label of "Book Club Beauties". Every two months or so we pick a group book (Non-teaching book) to read together and discuss. I started it as a reminder to all the teachers and other beauties I have met that we need to take time for ourselves too. Reading is a common thing that I let go when I get in the rush of school and life, so this pushes me to take the time for me and read. We started with only five in the group and quickly grew to 35 by round three! YAY!

We have done four total rounds. This round was Rooftops of Tehran. I forget which one of you recommended it, but I LOVED it.


So, Pasha's love does not remind me of my first love. His love seems much more intense than I remember and even more so because of his secret of loving her. 

Pasha was my favorite character! 

I loved the ritual of sitting on the rooftops and naming the stars. I did not have a ritual or anything like that growing up. We used to go catch frogs in the pond...but nothing as intellectual as these two did! 

I am so glad we read this one. It was a powerful read and opened my eyes to cultural rawness in Iran. 

Other questions to consider: 

1. What was your general reaction to the novel? 
2. Did you care about the characters? Why or why not?
3. What are your thoughts on Pasha's relationship with his father?
4. What do you think happens to Pasha once the book ends?

Your job:

Read the rules! 

If your blog, use the template to create your answers to the questions and join the linky. 

If you do not blog, simply comment with your answers and thoughts! 

I will be choosing a new book on August 1st. It will run for two months and end on October 1st. IF you want to recommend a book, either COMMENT here or EMAIL me. I will send an email out of everyone to join the conversation too.







4 comments:

  1. So far I started Rooftops once and am going to get it back from the library again this week. Hopefully starting the book over will grab my attention more.

    I would love to read Girl on the Train for our next book or The Book of Speculation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Pasha's love does not remind me of my first love. Pasha's love was secretive, contemplative, and full of shame (understandably under his conditions). I did love the way he admired and adored her!

    2. My favorite character was Faheemah! I loved that she was such a loyal and supportive friend to Zari and an overal great girlfriend to Ahmed.

    3. Three words to describe the novel would be political, romantic, and rich (in terms of the language used)

    4. I did not have a childhood ritual with friends, that would have been cool though!

    5. I enjoyed the ending, it was bittersweet.

    6. Honestly I don't think I would recommend the book, the beginning was strong and promising but for me it felt flat toward the second half and seemed to drag it a bit.

    I keep hearing about Girl on the Train as Michele suggested. I'm open! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittney, I totally agree with your comment about Faheemah! She had great character development for only playing a supporting role in the book. I would want her as my friend any day.

      Delete
  3. Here is my book club post!
    http://mrs.michelegreen.com/2015/08/rooftops-of-tehran-book-club.html

    ReplyDelete